I welcome your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Context of the Obama Presidency
Not since the days of the rise of fascism in Europe, the Second World War and the Depression has any president faced more adversity. Not since the Civil War has any president led a more bitterly divided country. Not since the introduction of racial integration has any president faced a more consistently short- sighted and willfully ignorant opposition – from both the right and left.
As the President’s poll numbers have fallen so has his support from some on the left that were hailing him as a Messiah not long ago; all those lefty websites and commentators that were falling all over themselves on behalf of our first black president during the 2008 election.
The left’s lack of faith has become a self-fulfilling “prophecy”– snipe at the President and then watch the poll numbers fall and then pretend you didn’t have anything to do with it!
Here is what Obama faced when he took office — none of which was his fault:
- An ideologically divided country to the point that America was really two countries.
- Two wars; one that was mishandled from the start, the other that was unnecessary and immoral.
- The worst economic crisis since the depression.
- America’s standing in the world at the lowest point in history.
- A country that had been misled into accepting the use of torture of prisoners of war.
- A health care system in free fall.
- An educational system in free fall.
- A global environmental crisis of history-altering proportions (about which the Bush administration and the Republicans had done nothing.)
- An impasse between culture warriors from the right and left.
- A huge financial deficit inherited from the terminally irresponsible Bush administration.
And those were only some of the problems sitting on the President’s desk!